Hell's Half Acre
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Tome of Strahd Empty Tome of Strahd

Sun May 19, 2019 12:00 am
I am The Ancient, I am The Land. My beginnings are lost in the darkness of the past. I was the warrior, I was good and just. I thundered across the land like the wrath of a just god, but the war years and the killing years wore down my soul as the wind wears stone into sand.
All goodness slipped from my life; I found my youth and strength gone and all I had left was death. My army settled in the valley of Barovia and took power over the people in the name of a just god, but with none of a god’s grace or justice. I called for my family, long unseated from their ancient thrones, and brought them here to settle in the castle Ravenloft. They came with a younger brother of mine, Sergei. He was handsome and youthful. I hated him for both.
From the families of the valley, one spirit shone above all others. A rare beauty, who was called “perfection,” “joy,” and “treasure.” Her name was Tatyana and I longed for her to be mine. I loved her with all my heart. I loved her for her youth. I loved her for her joy. But she spurned me! “Old One” was my name to her – “elder” and “brother” also. Her heart went to Sergei. They were betrothed. The date was set.
With words she called me “brother,” but when I looked into her eyes they reflected another name – “death.” It was the death of the aged that she saw in me. She loved her youth and enjoyed it. But I had squandered mine. The death she saw in me turned her from me. And so I came to hate death, my death. My hate is very strong: I would not be called “death” so soon. I made a pact with death, one of blood. On the day of the wedding, I killed Sergei, my brother. My pact was sealed with his blood.
I found Tatyana weeping in the garden east of the Chapel. She fled from me. She would not let me explain, and a great anger swelled within me. She had to understand the pact I made for her! I pursued her. Finally, in despair, she flung herself from the walls of Ravenloft and I watched everything I ever wanted fall from my grasp forever.
It was a thousand feet through the mists. No trace of her was ever found. Not even I know her final fate. I grieve tremendously for this loss even now...
Arrows from the castle guards pierced me to my soul, but I did not die. Nor did I live. I became undead, forever.
I have studied much. “Vampyr” is my new name. I still lust for life and youth, and I curse the living that took them from me. Even the sun is against me. It is the sun and light I fear the most. But little else can harm me now. Even a stake through my heart does not kill me, though it holds me from movement. But the sword, that cursed sword that Sergei brought! I fear and hate it as much as the sun.
I have often hunted for Tatyana. I have even felt her within my grasp, but she escapes me! She taunts me! She taunts me! What will it take to bend her love to me? I now reside far below Ravenloft. I live among the dead and sleep beneath the very stones of this hollow castle of despair. I shall seal shut the walls of the stairs that none may disturb me.

The War has proven to be an interesting distraction. It has been a long time since my death and rebirth that I have felt anything but anguish for my lost Tatyana. But my pride in my troops and our victories on the field has elevated my heart to fight fiercely for the honor of Barovia!

Interesting-Azalin, once known as the land of Darkon’s holy avenger, has entered my lands and asked to learn magic from me. I know not whether to view him as friend or foe or both. I have also completed my side project-the Deva is mine.

Betrayal! Azalin must lie in the rotted filth of his coffin! How could that bastard surrender? Now- on the eve that I have found Tatyana’s lineage of all times…Surely she will be mine this time.
….
Tatyana and I’s fated reunion draws ever nearer. My grand gift for her-though progress is slow and I fear it will not be fully ready for her arrival—is nearly assembled. Rahadin tells me that we have no more souls for the ritual. I will find them somehow--She will be mine.
[Last entry dated a little over a year and a half ago]
She calls herself Ireena now. My undying heart would be beating wildly as a schoolboy were I truly alive. But seeing her and being in her presence once more is worth all the blood and souls these wretched lands can offer. I have the newest addition to my retinue of trysts-the mate of the so called ‘King’ Ba’aldr, to thank for reuniting me with my Tatyana and also handing me the means to dispatch those who would oppose me. Perhaps this is Azalin’s poor excuse for an apology-giving me a contingent of his Kargat to do with as I please—perhaps I can find a use for them. Zuleika has certainly proven of value. The taste of Tatyana’s blood alone is intoxicating as the finest of wines. She will make for a delicious bride. Her wedding gift awaits only five more souls and the last of her blood. Our love will last forever.
- Tome of Strahd Von Zarovich
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum