Hell's Half Acre
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Compendium de Artis Magicae Empty Compendium de Artis Magicae

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:43 am
The implike creature resting on Eylylyn's shoulder leaned in close to her head and whispered, "I keep forgetting I'm not me yet. It's bothersome."

He looks back to the church, "That priest though-he was using magic. I didn't know they did that. He seems nice, but I also keep expecting the man to..."

Mahlajai goes rigid for a moment before returning to normal, "...and also I think you should know someone or something is watching us with magic."
Eylylyn Stonestream
Eylylyn Stonestream

Compendium de Artis Magicae Empty Re: Compendium de Artis Magicae

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:40 pm
The tiny scholar perks up slightly at the Carrionette's conversation then rolls her eyes.

"Yes, I know it must be frustrating, but it's going to take me somewhat more than a day to figure out a way to undo the damage done to you. Believe it or not fixing things is a lot harder than breaking them, even in magic."

She brushes a strand of fluorescent hair out of her face and into her deep purple cowl.

"Priests are a strange lot. They don't follow the same rules as everyone else, and I don't trust them. I don't doubt someone is watching us. Between Rahsaan, myself and Aspen we likely have half the Domains trying to find our little vagabond group."

She turns her head and the swollen eye at the head of her staff turns as well to face Mahlajai. All three eyes blink curiously.

"Do you know who is watching? Or do you have some insight into how or how we might stop it? How did you pick up on the observation? When did..."

She snaps her jaw shut, blushing.

"Sorry. I know I tend to ask too many questions at once."
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:11 pm
The small figure shook its head, "You misunderstood. I do not complain about your effort, but rather seek to justify my actions with the Mulahid back there." As he speaks, the word the pungent scent of death, old blood, and feeling of dark empty hunger becomes pronounced.

At the latter interrogation Mahlajai lifts up a hand to shrug, "I don't know for certain who, but their gaze upon us is oppressive-and I have my guesses. It would have been more difficult for me to not feel it. Whoever it is-they are quite confident and sure of themselves; so much so that they don't even attempt subtlety. It started when the new people showed up. The tiny man and his woman charge."

"As far as the holy man goes...why do you not trust them? Have one of their kind wronged you? Does the Azalin distrust them?" His own curiosity rising to the front.
Eylylyn Stonestream
Eylylyn Stonestream

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:33 am
Eylylyn considers for a moment before answering.

"Back home we have priests. Not for Azilan, but for foreign gods. The Lawgiver is popular there, Ezra has a few enclaves, and there are others. I've never really interacted with them much, to be honest. They always just struck me as fools, except maybe some of the Lawgiver's. Don't tell Rahsaan I said that, though..."

Her gaze drifts up to the young man up ahead apparently chatting amicably with the bound prisoners. She liked that he was so friendly, but found it odd to be fraternizing with people who had been sent specifically to kill him.

But what would I do if the Kargat showed up? They're not my enemies, and they do good work! I still have some friends there, but Rahsaan never had connections apart from his street urchin gang, so why befriend these murderers?

"I always found it strange that they were so focused on the rewards in the next life. If you suffer righteously and endure in this world, you'll be rewarded with great joy in the next after you die. When I got older, I realized how profoundly cynical that is. Especially since everyone seems to think the Mists here in Borovia can't be escaped even in death. I follow Azilan because it makes life better in this world when you obey his Perfect Law. Doing things now in this life for potential reward later in the next life seems profoundly backwards to me. And that's not even taking into account the fact that the gods aren't real. At least not in the sense these people think. Priests and Clerics are at best fools, and at worst con artists. But if it brings their flocks joy and doesn't harm me, I'm willing to play along to an extent."

She shakes her head and turns back to the puppet.

"If it only started when we joined up with those others that narrows the field of who it could be considerably. We already know she's of interest to Strahd, his stronghold is a stone's throw away, and he's moving somewhat openly if he's already bitten her twice. It seems likely we've caught Strahd's eye."
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:14 pm
Mahlajai considered the words regarding religion carefully before asking, "Would it surprise you to know that my people the Bed'in are seen as gods by some?"

"I know of no good gods, but the tellings of my people are full of bad ones. Of those of our kind that made the choice...got political. But in all my life I truly did not realize the holy men could actually touch the Shidet." This word sends tingling sensations cascading throughout Eylylyn's body like a waterfall. Feelings of pure boundless euphoria paired with the wonder and bliss of a primal world when all things are right and unblemished and pristine, converged at the the root-the base and sum of her entire understanding of magic.

At the mention of Strahd Mahlajai nods. "That would be my guess. Though....Kahzan when I was with him, he would look upon his foes from far away-and he was certainly sure of himself. He was anything but subtle. It could be him or perhaps even that Vistani lady, but like you said-Strahd makes sense."
Eylylyn Stonestream
Eylylyn Stonestream

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:28 pm
Eylylyn smiles wryly.

"Oh, I didn't realize I was in the presence of a god! I'd bow, but you're sitting on my shoulder and that seems tricky."

She shakes her head.

"No, it makes sense that the primitives where you're from would worship things like you. It's like what I told the priest back in the church; primitive peoples latch onto forces they can't understand and ascribe godliness to them out of fear and ignorance."

She revels in the sensation of the strange word for a moment, letting it wash over her.

"I'd love to know how your language works. I haven't heard something so steeped in magic before, but it's beautiful. But if I take your meaning, you're saying the priest's magic is the same as what your people do? What is the Shidet?"

She looks around, taking in the gloomy outskirts of town.

"It might be nice to bring something beautiful here. Especially if Strahd or your old master is watching. Maybe there's a way we can obscure their vision?"
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:12 pm
Mahlajai laughed heartily at her for a moment, "I'm not delusional. I am no god. I am a talking doll-what kind of god gets trapped in a toy?"

He nods understanding her meaning and rationalization of less enlightened people.

"The Uluk or word of my people-I will teach you what I can when I can, but I fear it will not serve you well as you are not Bed'in. You also see the world differently-which is not a bad thing, but it does make for additional complications."

The Shidet is...how do I explain...hmm. To answer you simply-no, the priest does not use magic like I do. But both you and he touch it when you use magic. It is like an endless sea. You cup your hand into it, your own understanding-your teaching shapes it, or directs the flow of it, and then you release it. It rushes out to do what you shaped it to do and then recedes back to where it came from. Sometimes you do not scoop out enough and there is not enough in you hand to do what you wish, so your magic does not work. Other times you scoop out too much and it is too difficult to direct. Either way your magic does not do what you intend. But with practice or with a little assistance, you collect the correct amount to do what you wished. I and the Bed'in on the other hand-are permanently submerged in the sea. When we speak-the words are soaked from it. Does that make sense?"

At the latter suggestion, Mahlajai sighed, "Strahds' land-his territory. He can see what happens in his own home when he desires to look. Even Kahzan couldn't overcome that. But if you want to bring beauty here, your hands are more than capable of crafting such. Simply acting as you have, to change the status quo disperses ugliness."
He considers something for a moment more and says, "Well...perhaps a more direct action might be possible. But I can't teach it in this form."
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum