Hell's Half Acre
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Where the Seeds Take Root Empty Where the Seeds Take Root

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:37 pm
Rahsaan let out a tired sigh as he crouched near the fire; while he hadn’t noticed the cold while running all over the battlefield, the wind bit with greater ferocity than any wolf now that his shirt was soaked with sweat. As much as Voriel spoke about being the divine fire of judgement, he was powerless  against a winter’s chill. He thought back to just a few moments ago that, despite the strange characters and concerned talk of decay, how pleasant Tall Tree’s was. They said peace wouldn’t last, even their hosts warned of the threat Strahd posed. But still, to be somewhere the Lawgiver wouldn’t even think to look for him, free even if temporary from corrupted forces- for the most part. It was like he was somewhere where he could finally breath untainted air.

But as Voriel had said time and again, the mists were inescapable- even that Elven realm with its relative tranquility was trapped within their grasp. He had convinced himself he still would not find peace- even if it was from Voriel who would never stop urging him to return to Barovia. Though Rahsaan could not completely shake himself of all reluctance, the angel convinced him he was still needed.

Rahsaan looked to Twang, not at his face but instead at the pouch around his waist. That mushroom capped creature shared something with Twang- and despite the Kenku’s assurances, the Aasimar still would not allow himself to trust someone who’s mind was compromised.  

He half-crept closer to Twang as he asked,  "So what did you get from . . . it was Leo, right? If he indeed shared with you what he was smoking, than I would suggest getting rid it. Nothing good can come from those toxins in my experiance."

Last edited by Rahsaan on Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Twang

Where the Seeds Take Root Empty Re: Where the Seeds Take Root

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:58 pm
After the battle Twang sat by the fire caring for his war club and going over his armor making sure none of it was too worse for wear due to the meager attacks of the skeletons. Once satisfied with his weapons and armor he held his round shield and began to polish it in the fire light, occasionally glancing up at the cloudy night sky. He was lost in his own thoughts when Rahsaan approached him and cocked his head to side before realizing what Rahsaan was alluding too.

"mmm. You speak of the seeds."

Twang went back to focusing on his shield.

"Unimportant. The seeds were only a vessel. Leo and his God wish me to spread beliefs... Druidism... here in Barovia."

Twang shrugged as he began to put away his supplies and set his shield down beside him.

"Don't know why I was chosen... but it makes sense druidism is needed here. We all live. We all die. Our bodies decay and new life sprouts forth."

He looked at Rahsaan.

"Strahd currently is outside the cycle. Killing him should release his hold over the land and new life could once again begin."

Twang places a claw on the dirt.

"This land is hurting...dying... the cycle needs to be restored. That is the feeling I get by holding these seeds. We were planning on taking down Strahd anyway, so it does not interfere with current goals."
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:08 pm
As the Kenku explained the gift he was given, Rahsaan's expression was one of understanding and briefly intrigue, before it soon darkened as he said with a snort, "Sitting around getting high while sending someone else to do the actual work? Sounds just like the addicts I knew back home. If Leo had actual conviction, wanted to truly fight back against those who deny the order, than maybe he'd travel himself and plant new forests instead of sitting around . . ."  He paused, realizing his words rang more brazen than he had intended, coming from a place largely unrelated to experience in Tall Trees. Catching himself he added, "Hm, well as long as you don't start snorting the stuff you grow I see this as a good thing. Though I certainly hope that is not one of the tenants of your newfound belief."

He then searched the Kenku's eyes, the firelight dancing off his own,  "Or do you believe it? You said you don't know why this God chose you. So the seeds did not impart that knowledge?"
Twang

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:32 pm
Twang shrugged.

“My sins... ghosts hold on too strong. Any escape brought by these seeds alone would be temporary, frivolous.”

He stretched his arms upward and gazed at the stars.

“Maybe Leo lazy, or maybe Leo needed where he is if hags are openly acting in his woods. Maybe I was chosen because you have Voriel, Sir Mercurion Ezra, EyLyLyn herself and magic. Maybe Psilofyr sensed I wanted to change from what i once was and offered a path forward... a way to atone for my bloodfilled path by making a future where things can grow.”

Twang turned and looked at Rahsaan with sorrow in his eyes.

“Maybe that last part is just wishful thinking...”
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:59 pm
“It has to be more than just wishful thinking.” Rahsaan  replied, “You said you wanted to turn away from your viscous ways. Perhaps it was Psilofyr who drew us into that realm, not Ezra after he heard your prayer. After all, just being there managed to somewhat lift your currr . . . .” He stopped, realizing Twang’s hand had regrown its feathers. He let out a soft cough and continued, “Or maybe that was a glimpse of your reward, what will happen should you spread nature’s glory.”

He then appeared contimplative, “Because even if you change back into a dwarf, you still want to be someone else still, right? Perhaps, this deity is  seeking more than just lifting the curse and providing redemption- but also preparing your for what comes after. Whatever that may be.”

He then asked, “But it appeared that the curse was unraveling in Tall Tree. Were you tempted to stay behind?”

He then adds, “because I would like to think I wasn’t the only one.”
Twang

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:16 pm
Twang shrugged.

"Whoever brought us there... I was thankful for the rest."

He began to look at his claws as he spoke.

"Not tempted to stay there. Not ready to look like I did... be recognized... Still easier to hide."

He turned and looked at Rahsaan.

"You were tempted to stay after seeing the needs in this land? That is curious because you do a bad job hiding your want to help everyone we come across."

He paused and cocked his head to the side.

"Perhaps it was your angel, Voriel, who wanted to stay?
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:58 pm
Rahsaan gave a soft laugh, “Voriel was who urged me on. I know very clearly I was the one who wanted to stay. A place where the air was clean and pure, no suffocating holds of evil doers, and I’m certain the Lawgiver’s faithful would never find me there. It was what I was trying to find when I ran from Nova Vassa.”

He looked to Twang with a smile, though it seemed to bear a hint of guilt, “I help others because I want to show there is a better way to live  than just looking after oneself. I do not know how many would listen to me if I tried to rally a crowd and just preach words at them. I want to lead by example, show the importance that if you are able to help one another, than you should.”

The smile vanished as he continued, “But after hearing the stories of Strahd and what awaits us here in Barovia . . .I had doubts whether I could actually make a difference. If Tall Tree was free of that, why try and remake this realm in order to find what I sought after if I already found it?”

He then averted his eyes, looking at the ground, “I think what drove you on was that you wanted to earn what you want, to learn and actually change. I am not so noble.”
Twang

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:18 am
Twang placed a claw on the monk’s shoulder.

“Still noble because you did not act on temptation.”

He then moved scooted closer to the fire and began poking it with a stick trying to urge more warmth out of it.

“We were attacked as soon as we returned. That means we already are making a difference. Strahd is aware of us and is making moves against us, same as we are moving against him.”

He gave up poking the fire and just broke the stick in half and tossed the pieces aside.

“Perhaps you could go back there to stay after we deal with Strahd. Save a land and then hide from Lawgivers. Win. Win.”
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:24 pm
Rahsaan looked over to where the Kenku had tossed the stick, ruminating on the ex-dwarf's words. "I don't think that's what I want. Really want, I mean." Rahsaan said suddenly, . "I . . . I guess I do want to earn peace and security. And that's why I didn't stay."

He looked back to Twang, "I cannot say this is the first time this has happened. I've been tempted my whole life to hide in the shadows, to shy away from the many dangers in Nova Vaasa. Voriel is the one who not just let my step out of the darkness, but enable me light it." He then frowned, "But I still didn't earn that. Him coming to me took no effort on my part." He looked at the numerous weapons carried by Twang and then glancing to Aspen's crossbow, "How many hours did you both train to fight as well as you do?" He then looked over to Eylylyn, "How many days did she spend pouring over confusing tones to master her talent?" He looked to Sir Mercurion, "And how . . ., okay,  even he admits he doesn't' know what he did to earn Ezra's blessing."

He looked back to Twang, "But the point is, I guess this comes from a desire to achieve something that I do , and not just because an Angel works through me. You seem to have been offered a new calling so you do not fall back into what you were even once the curse is lifted."

He exhaled, "That much to say, I don't really know what Rahsaan can earn without Voriel."
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum