Hell's Half Acre
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Cold Night, Hot Take Empty Cold Night, Hot Take

Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:05 pm
Rahsaan stepped outside the small abode to take watch, trading places with Aspen who had entered seconds earlier. The inch of snow that covered the rogue’s armor did not prepare the Aasimar for just how cold the night had grown. Within moments his teeth were chattering, the three shirts borrowed from Izmark proving to be a futile effort against the weather. Despite the snow the air was otherwise still, and as he lit his spear the dark night withdrew ever slightly from him, the snow glimmering as if it was a white canvas sprinkled with broken glass. If he was not worried about what lay just beyond his light, he may have been able to appreciate the beauty of the moment. The silence did not last long as Voriel began,
“I should commend you for that last fight. I thought for certain I’d had finished that specter earlier.” The angel said in his mind.

“What happened to you?” Rahsaan asked. “You have been silent for the whole afternoon.”

“I was recovering.” Voriel replied flatly, “Inhabiting your body- and making the proper modifications so I may inhabit it- is exhausting. It takes time for renew my spirit.” He paused before he continued, ”also I did not see a reason to return to such an unappreciative crowd so soon.”

Rahsaan let out a laugh, his breath condensing into short puffs, “So the reason I had to face a grief- stricken werewolf and a flaming skull without you was because you were sulking?”

“I wasn’t sulking.” Voriel replied, “But after smiting that cackling ghost the only thanks I get are blank stares? A talking spider commanded more awe from your companions! You said the others would come around to me if I protected them instead of just celebrating the destruction of evildoers. Instead they’re more blasé than ever.”

“Did you expect them to fall on the knees and worship you? Be so amazed they would be unable to speak?” Rahsaan asked, turning in place to trudge back behind the house, “I suggested you focus on protection because Aspen and Lyn thought of you as a bloodthirsty spirit of death and I wanted to change that. Does it matter that they do not specifically call you an angel?”

“Of course it does!” Voriel replied dismissively, “I am a celestial of divine retribution and righteousness! An immortal being with abilities beyond their comprehension! How would you like it if they ignored you repeatedly, and when they did they called you insignificant?”

“I am used to being ignored.” Rahsaan replied, “in fact I prefer it if I am trying to steal something.” He didn’t address the second part of the question. Instead he said, “But does it matter if any of the others believe or not? I know what you are. If they are not actively trying to stop you- or us, really- than it should not be a concern.”
Voriel let out what Rahsaan’s best understood as a ‘hmph’.

“And there it is again. Complacency. Mere survival. You cannot settle for just acceptance from your peers, Rahsaan. Otherwise you cannot achieve a greater purpose.” Rahsaan let out a sigh,

“Why. . .” He started, but stopped his words as well as his pace. The only sounds were his cold breaths among the muffled snow. He had a smirk of realization as he said,
“I get it. You need them to call you an angel because that’s how you know what you are.”

Voriel didn’t reply right away, but the Aasimar figured he had no words to say. Rahsaan continued, “You said yourself you do not have your all your memories. You do not follow a God. All you have are mortals to validate your own beliefs. If they doubt you, than how can you not doubt yourself?”

After a pause in the conversation, Voriel let out a chuckle, like how an adult may laugh at a child’s joke that made no sense, “I have no doubt I am a divine agent of judgement.” Voriel said, his tone attempting to be reassuring, though it sounded more condescending, “ So I believe you are looking too far into this. Just some appreciation and awe would be nice, with maybe a few gasps and kneeling from the most devout. Maybe there are some villagers nearby who would grateful for my services.”

The angel did not speak any further, his timbre indicating his desire to drop the subject. Rahsaan let out a slow exhale into the night, watching the mist from his breath evaporate.

“Do not begin to doubt yourself, Voriel.” Rahsaan thought, “I have enough for both of us already.”
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum