Hell's Half Acre
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Shades of the unknown  Empty Shades of the unknown

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:17 pm
Mahlajai found himself in a familiar setting wearing a look of annoyance. Surrounded by mists several feet away from Voriel, he spared no time before approaching the angel.

"Um...what's going on in there? I don't like being excluded or left in the dark. I can usually glean what I need to know fairly easily but this group is now somewhere I can't see."

The djinn paused as he added, "Something is wrong isn't it?"

He sighed, as if knowing the answer "I find them an armored beast of war and still they manage end up in over their heads. What is it this time? Are they buried alive? Being chased by monsters? C'mon, I can take it. What's wrong?"

Mahlajai's annoyed look turned into legitimate concern, "Voriel what is it? Is Rahsaan okay?"
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Shades of the unknown  Empty Re: Shades of the unknown

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:02 pm
The smaller spirit may have spoken to Voriel sooner, however he almost seemed to be asleep. The color was noticible drained from his figure, the fire crowning his head almost completely extinguished. All three of his eyes were shut, though a low, constant hum emitted from him.
Suddenly as he was addressed, while the two lower eyes upon the angel's face held tightly closed, the third on his forehead open wide, peering not at Mahlajai but out past the mist occluding them both.

"Stay calm, Mahlajai. They are alive yet, thanks to the contraption you found." Voriel said, the deep vibrations rising into the varying sounds of his usual voice.  

The look on his face looked less bemused after a second, or at least how one could look without any semblance to a human face as he said, "They just conversed with some dwarves. Ugh, mortal politics. Whatever they plan will be wiped clean once they all die after a few hundred years, the same topics repeating endlessly. I see no reason to get invested . . ."

A sharp chord radiated from the angel, like someone had just dropped a large assortment keyed instruments- Mahlajai interpreted it as a gasp. All three of his eyes opened as he said, "They're alive but, something's different." The angel was then quiet for a few seconds.

"על ידי האלים המתים!!!"

Voriel swore, and the mists themselves roiled around the two of them, as if agitated from a violent wind. They soon settled as Voriel regained his composure, though he was still clearly infuriated.
"It seems some servant of Strahd or otherwise has seen fit to curse Rahsaan. At least, that's what the wizard thinks it is."

The sound of a giant wave washing ashore filled the mists- a sigh.

"And I was not there to prevent it."
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:13 pm
When Voriel said the group was safe Mahlajai sighed feeling pleased with himself, "Well-thats a mercy at any rate. I hate feeling useless. These dwarves might not be amenable to me but their craftsmanship is nothing to sneer at."

As Voriel lamented at the idea of mortal politics Mahlajai's face grew somewhat somber. "Politics in general are best avoided mortal or not. Too many obligations for too little reward."

Upon seeing Voriel's violent reaction Mahlajai took a step back. "Well if its a curse-Eylylyn is pretty good at getting rid of those. Pretty sure the priest is capable of knocking those out too. If the spike covered knight that used to travel with the gang was around, he probably could have helped too but the point is, curses aren't too great to be beaten. Just a small hole in the path to fill in."

At the angel's last thought, the Djinn lowered his head. "Ah."

Mahlajai rocked on his heels for a long silent moment, before pausing "Wait a minute-how was Rahsaan cursed? Wasn't he in the armored beast? How come they all aren't different?"

The djinn placed a finger on his lips as he mulled over the information. "No something isn't adding up. You look like your regaining strength, which can only mean Rahsaan likely called on you...which means he wasn't in the armored beast....but- If you were there and Rahsaan was cursed you would have felt it too right?-maybe even been affected by it or resisted it entirely. In any case you would have known about it, it wouldn't have been a surprise."

Mahlajai's eyes squinted at Voriel. "You don't look any different. Do you feel any different? And another thing, what makes them think Rahsaan was cursed-is he vomiting up toads or having his hair fall out in clumps or something?"
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:55 pm
Voriel shook his head, "To be clear, I don't mean he was cursed in the last few minutes. I was with him in that battle, and I do not think they had any encounters with devils in this kingdom. Eylylyn seems to think its related to his bloodline."

He then gave a slight pause, "You remember that man claiming to be Rahsaan's brother, back in the city? How his arm was disfigured? The same thing seems to have happened to my pupil. I just thought . . . ah yes, Izek, that was his name . . . was just very confused and mistaken Rahsaan for someone else."

Voriel's demeanor was one of both concern and intense concentration, "I am unaffected by this. And I suspect if I could be corrupted, this would have sprung at the chance when I was inhabiting Rahsaan, not when I was looking the other way, so to speak. As for curing him, the mortals are currently trying to save the king, so we will see if they are able to lift this blight with a prayer to one of their gods and a magic sparkle."

Another sigh washed over the two of them, "I know nothing of Rahsaan's past before he came to Nova Vaasa, and even he was surprised to learn he is from Barovia. This may be a case of the land taking back what it owns."
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:03 pm
Mahlajai frowned at every word Voriel spoke, so that by the end of Voriel speaking-his face was scowling.
"Lineage curses are rare nasty dark magical works. They take at least dozens of lives to empower. I remember this Izek. He was definitely afflicted by one."

The Djinn huffed, "I don't know of a way to fix a blood line curse. They aren't very common because of what all is required and you normally run out of willing participants before you're finished. Prayers to the gods can't hurt, but in these wretched lands if the Gods answer such prayers I would suspect it happens even more rarely. Dragon's blood would have an effect but it likely won't cure it..."

"You being untarnished currently is something at least, but if Rahsaan is under the effects of one of these curses-there's honestly no telling what he might do. These curses can affect more than just the body. The spirit and mind are fair game and easy targets. I'm not entirely familiar with the process of what it takes to corrupt your kind but an honest true blood line curse would likely have the power and potential to be able to do it." Mahlajai sighed.

"The question is not whether you're willing to risk your own immortal soul falling to the darkness to save his from damnation, or whether or not doing so means not only dying for the boy but possibly becoming one of the monsters we used to slay..." The djinn bit his lip, "The big question is do you have a choice?"
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:28 pm
"Oh, I have a choice."

One of Voriel's six hands held up a silvery cord in its clenched fist, the astral chain trailing from the center of his four wings off into the mist, disappearing out of sight.

"This is the tether between Rahsaan and I. Even I do not know the endgame of this curse, whether it is just to frighten Rahsaan, use his blood for foul rituals, or tempt him into aligning with the dark forces. But I have also considered it may also be an attempt to frighten me into severing my connection to Rahsaan, which would make me a purposeless spirit once again. Though know full well, Mahlajai, I will do everything in my power to ensure Rahsaan stands vigilant against our enemies, that he has the strength to resist the trails and temptations that lay ahead. Even if that means someday he must go on without me."

He dropped the cord, while his gaze grows distant. Not as if he is watching after the morals like before, but instead in a deep reminisce.

"I . . . I've done this before. Not just risk myself as if battling a great foe but . . . imperiling my soul, my chance to return to the heavens . . ."  His words trail off, seemingly resuming his daze.
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:31 pm
When Voriel shows the connection between him and Rahsaan, he looks away from it...but says nothing further other than, "I know you would."

As Voriel seemed to drift, Mahlajai looked on in curiosity. "You are remembering something or just a feeling of deja vu? Something about this situation specifically or perhaps in another time and place? Help me out here-I'm grasping for straws to keep up."
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:45 pm
His expression still unreadable, Voriel mused in silence for several seconds after the Djini had addressed him.

"I don't know when it happened, after the battle of Pesh I presume. My memories still aren't what they were. It was someone I cared about. They had either been dragged into hell by one of its vile servants, or they were sent there unjustly. I thought I could fight my way down, free them and return back into the light."

His eyes- all three- closed once again as he continued, "Uriel- he warned me. He said if I did pursue them down into the abyss, I may not come back out. He still gave me the choice, but cautioned that he would not be able to assist me, that I would be cut off from any and all of his aid. But I did go- though what happened after I had past their gates that is still lost to me."

The lower pair opened again, staring at Mahlajai "I still don't know who- or even what, I was trying to save. Considering my circumstance, I at least escaped the clutches of hell- if only to lock myself in another prison."

His expression then grew a mix of concern and intrigue , "But, what happened to the one I was trying to save?"
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:21 pm
Mahlajai seemed genuinely surprised by the few specifics the angel was able to recall. "Well whomever or whatever it was must have really been important."

As if piecing a puzzle together the djinn pursed his lips, "Important enough you would risk everything-cost be damned, but not enough to warrant your garrison....if I didn't know any better, I would say that sounds like a woman's handiwork." He nodded, "Sounds personal at any rate..."

At the latter query, Mahlajai nodded again, "Indeed-that is a fair question. Why are you here but it or they or she is not? And does Rahsaan play a role in that somehow?" He mused, "More questions than answers."

Then Mahlajai's face wrinkled and he spat a blueish purple fluid off to one side. "Voriel...I hope you know I want to help you. I might even know of a way to get some answers...but the price I would have to pay, it--" He mumbles "סיוטים של איכות". He looks up at Voriel, "I would have to get political."
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:16 pm
"It is a bit distressing that the one I sought to save is not here, nor do I know their wherabouts. And even if Rahsaan does not directly relate, it is still because of him I've remembered the little bits and pieces of my memories."

Though Voriel thought over his motivation. What is the memories of perserving those he cared about- a reminder of who he was really was- that urged him, or was it without Rahsaan he could not remember anything further? As much as Rahsaan fretted over his own perceived weaknesses, it was worth considering who needed the other more . . .

As Mahlajai finished, he was somewhat startled back aware as he said, "Politics of the immortal I can suffer through well enough. Their plans and the games they play with one another at least have ramifications and consequences across countless planes and immeasurable timelines. Not about which mortal gets to sit on an uncomfortable seat they all convinced themselves was important. But what kind of price do you ask?"
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:44 pm
Mahlajai shook his head, "I wouldn't need to ask anything of YOU..." and cleared his throat, "It would however involve me taking on certain obligations, and services that I don't want."

He hung his head, "When I say I would have to get political-I mean that I would have to voluntarily enter bondage. I'd be forced to serve at the whims of those above my station-Those who barter and bicker and debate and trade favors and services for eons and millennia. In exchange for this, I am granted substantial increases in my magical power and more to the current situation...access to vast stores of information, dare I say almost to the point of near omniscience."

The djinn looked back to the direction he'd come, "There's so much out there, so many things in the material plane that are so brief and brilliant that I still haven't seen...so much I haven't experienced or lived." He turned back to Voriel, "The petty arguments over things like seating arrangements...though so insignificant to us, seem to matter a great deal to them. Their desire to better themselves, to grow, to change-despite knowing they will never achieve perfection, its...just so fascinating. Our kind pities them for their comparitive weaknesses and cosmological insignificance, but I can't help but envy their ambition."

He frowns again, "As much as I want to help you Voriel...I just don't think I'm ready to give all that up. Do you understand?"
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:43 pm
Voriel seemed largely unreadable as he replied  "What exactly would you need to serve? Would you try to get the ear of a distant God, or are you referring to some being within these mists? And does it even have to be specifically another type of spirit?"

His tone turned more musing as he said,  "Angel's do not have to serve gods or greater angels, or at least I don't think they have to. They can also represent an ideal, a virtue to uphold. It's still a form of servitude, though their power grows the closer they align and work towards that ideal. Though I suppose Djinn may work differently so it might be wholly irrelevant."

"I can understand your hesitation considering you have spent countless decades in the shape of a doll. Don't worry too much about me. I have become more complete in the recent years, yes; but if I have waited a millennia knowing nothing of myself, than I can wait another."

With a pause he added, "Unless, you think there is something I need to remember. For other's sake."
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:21 pm
Mahlajai shrugged his shoulders, "Its less a what and more of whom. Honestly I am uncertain which khan, caliph, Vizier, or sultan would lay claim to me now. Ahjuu-a lesser son of Marid Nobility expressed interest once upon a time, as did the despicable Ifrit Vizier Ghornis. Given how long I have been away from my charge, my rank title and worth have possibly earned me some ire from the higher courts."

When Mahlajai mentions the second creatures name, a wave of revulsion and fury rose up from within Voriel; along with blurred images of dark fire, the sound of screams of anguish, and deep feeling of lascerating pain that seemed to come from every direction.

"But the choice would not be up to me. Some ruler who cares little for the trifles of man would largely see fit to remove me from any notions I had of free will."

The man nods in acknowledgment of Voriel's response, "I have told you what I know, and will continue to help you see to it that you are able to recall all your past with time, but whether there's anything you need...I couldn't say without knowing more. I just wanted to let you know how I felt about everything and the options currently technically available ."
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:13 pm
Voriel grunted through the unwelcome sensations, speaking as if through gritted teeth,  "Perhaps not binding to an efreet would be preferable, if you have any choice in the matter."

He sighed as he said, "And I truly do appreciate the offer to try and aid me, the mortals. But I sense you still have plenty of tricks up your sleeve even now to help us. Losing your free will, your desires . . . there wouldn't be much of a you left, would there?"

Voriel's true self condensed, revealing a the form of a man. He wore a white loose robe with a silver breastplate underneath with a curved empty scabbard at his side. His short trimmed hair was gold with a equally short, square beard- actually, his whole face was square. However, he still had the familiar silver eyes of the angel, the Djinni recognizing the mortal visage of Voriel, unseen for eons. As he strode closer to Mahlajai, the mists seeming to part before him, he said, "It is an option as you said, but maybe we keep it as a last resort, in case the morals find themselves where even we cannot aid them, if some fell creature threatens us, or . . ." He huffed, before he frowned,  "I need a reminder of who I am, for the sake of Rahsaan or otherwise."  

He reached out and placed his hand on the Djinn's shoulder, "I would not want to find myself only to lose you."
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:15 pm
"The thought of serving eternity with any efreet is hell itself...literally." Mahlajai shook his head, "They are awful."

As the angel posed the question about the djinn losing himself, Mahlajai smiled. "Well I can be pretty stubborn when I put my mind to it...and in regards to any tricks being up my sleeve, I have no clue what you are talking about..."

Mahlajai's eyebrows arched in surprise at seeing Voriel, but upon hearing his suggestions nodded with a low bow, "A last resort indeed."

When Voriel reached out to touch Mahlajai's shoulder, there was a mighty rush of wind and a brilliant flare of golden light that filled the area, and off in the distance beyond the surrounding mists came forth a low, deep, bellowed roar that echoed for several seconds.

Looking to the hand upon his shoulder, the djinn made to say something but was drowned out by the sound. Upon hearing the noise the blue skinned creature bolted straight up and whipped around in a fluid dance like motion, as six arms each gripping a different colored scimitar sprang out from his now smoking form in a reflexive guard stance to face the direction he heard the noise. "What was that?!" He cried out in shock and fear.
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:42 am
Voriel withdrew his hand as Mahlajai put up his gaurd; whether is was a memory or knowledge, he knew a djinn assuming warform meant it was either infurated or terrified- though his freind's tone indicated the latter. Though Voriel would be lying if he said he was free of concern at the unexpected interruption.

Largly keeping his collected demeanor, Voriel said,  "This is either a long lost ally now able to rescue us from this realm," Each of Voriel's fists burst into a white fire, reaching up past his forearms as he continued, "Or we have finally been deemed worthy of notice by one of the more repulsive creatures lingering in the mist." The flames enveloping the angel made the kind conjured by Rahsaan seem like campfire sparks in comparison.

"You have our attention!" Voriel called out, "Now prove to us that you're worthy of it!"
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:31 am
The ground beneath their feet began rumbling, and the once bright but clouded mists grew dark before growing completely black, the only area of light being the area immediately around Voriel. The darkness sizzled and cooked as it neared Voriel's aura, but continued to grow thicker until even Voriel's aura was all but drowned out.

Mahlajai's arms began whirling, picking up speed, not lashing out at anything but not allowing anything within their barrier. The djinn peered out in the darkness-but upon seeing nothing, closed his eyes and began to intently listen.

Another deep roar, this time much closer. In the roar though, words could be heard. The voice booming, unseen but still heard. "You believe yourselves Better and self righteous. You claim you do not belong here. All who are here belong here. The fallen angel, cast down from the heavens who clings to the prayers of mortals for power and lies to control them out of fear of what he has done....and the genie reject, unworthy of holding true power, because you're afraid of what you truly are and could become...yes....you belong here. Do not delude yourselves."

The flames of Voriel's arms begin to shrink, and Mahlajai took several steps back as the nebulous black began to press harder against him.

"You should know-the child is mine. He surrendered so easily. Even now, he knows himself my captive. And because of him, I now have you."
The words were directed to Voriel.

The rumbling ceased and the darkness thinned slightly, "We will meet in person soon." The roaring then ceased.

Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:13 pm
While Mahlajai could not see it through the darkness  even if he could, he would not be able to tell of the diminishing flames were the visitors doing or the angel's. The intensity on Voriel's face lessoned, to the point where he almost appeared bewildered. Even amid the dark void, his thoughts turned to what Rahsaan had said to him several days back.

You need them to call you an angel because that is how you know what you are.

All you have are mortals to validate your own beliefs. If they doubt you, than how can you not doubt yourself?

He closed his eyes as realization struck him. These were Rahsaan's words echoed back at him. This creature bestowed no revelation, nothing he did not already know- or rather, did not know. Facing his doubts, widening the holes within him, allowing the fears to rush in.

He would have no more of this.

"You are right. I do belong here."
He opened his eyes, burning as if filled with molten silver, "To rid this realm of creatures like you. Creatures who prey on other's doubts, fearing them into submission, allowing you to devour them as they wallow helplessly in their own misery. "

"And if you think you have any control over my pupil," He let out a laugh, "Then you know nothing about him."
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:39 pm
There was no rumble, no roar of reply, but instead a light whisper carried aloft by the wind. Mahlajai had his back now nearly pressed up against Voriel having been forced several feet from his original position.

As the wordless whisper settled into Voriel's ears, he felt his body go rigid and turned slightly as though someone had started to call his name...and looked on in horror as his body turned both fiery arms towards Mahlajai's unprotected back and saw the flames leap higher and begin burning brighter than they had when he first ignited them, as tendrils of flame began to slowly inch forward towards the djinn while at the same time the angel's tether to Rahsaan began to shake of its own accord.

Without looking around, Mahlajai spoke, his gaze still trying to pierce the mists for signs of the dark presence direction, "I still don't know what that was, but I'm alright. You good back there?"
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:00 pm
Voriel tried to extingush the ever growing flames to no avail, as the white color began to deepen into a dark red. This was not the fires of heaven that he now held.
"You cannot know my name . . . I don't even know my name!"  Voriel said, those his words were strained. He glanced back to his spirital link- he could not keep his focus on both, not wanting to think what was happening on the other end of the chain.  

Before the fire could singe the Djinn he called out, "Mahlajai! I think now is time for one of your tricks!"
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:09 pm
Mahlajai shot a quick glance behind him and his eyes went wide. The djinn threw himself to the ground forcing his legs under him as he sprang back at Voriel's arms screaming, "Infierno" as he clapped his hands together! The fiery tendrils lanced out in scorching rays catching the djinn across his right cheek, left side and knee before the flames themselves screamed as they were snuffed out by the air around them getting ripped away.

Mahlajai cried out in pain, as the areas he'd been hit continued to burn while flames hungrily ate away flesh snd sinew. Voriel however heard the screams as though from a distance, for in his own mind he heard Rahsaan's voice, "Voriel! Help . . .” He yelled, though his words died in his throat as the entity silenced him. Voriel heard as Rahsaan tried to cry out in pain, but was unable to scream as his chest felt as if it would burst.

The creatures voice spoke low, "I can save you.."

Rahsaan choked out, "How?"

The creature muttered something and Rahsaan cried out, "You want me to abandon Voriel, side with you and join the forces of the damned.."

There is a long pause, before Rahsaan spoke again with courage in his voice..."I will."
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:30 pm
"Rahsaan! Don't!" Voriel called out, though he knew the Aasimar could not hear him. He stood in a daze, Rahsaan and the entity's voice vanishing from his mind. He wouldn't have aligned with this fiend. He just couldn't. It would have just as likely as him joining with the Lawgiver.  But it was undoubtedly Rahsaan's voice, his decision, his cries of pain.

But Mahlajai's cries of pain turned far more prevalent at this present time as he continued to burn.

Doing his best to shake himself from his stupor, Voriel bent down and touched where he had burned the Djinn, "This is not my area of expertise, but I'll do what I can."

The angel focused his healing energy onto the wounds, seemingly oblivious that the spectral chain connecting him to the Aasimar stayed strong . . . .
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:09 am
As Voriel made to begin tending the djinn's wounds, Mahlajai winced slightly before steeling himself as the last remaining remnants of flame died off.
Mahlajai took a long breath before speaking, his words clipped and measured-undoubtedly because he was in pain, "I hate fire. Brass, iron, wood, even magic I will take, but I hate fire."

"Any thoughts as to how exactly your fiery fists of fury found themselves aimed at me?"

He made to sheath his blades before stopping himself, having thought better of moving just yet. It was at this point he seemed to catch sight of his swords and something clicked. "Well... at least this hasn't been a complete waste. Looks like I have my arms again."

Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:38 am
Seeing that Mahlajai was not irreparably damaged, he bowed his head in relief, though his reassurance was short lived as he nodded,
“It knew my name.”  He said flatly “Not in it’s entirety but enough so it could interfere with my powers.”

His expression remained solum as his thoughts turned to Rahsaan- if this fiend could assert any amount of control over an angel, than what chance could the Aasimar stand?

You are not the only one watching over him.  Voriel thought to himself. The others would never allow Rahsaan to succumb.

Doing his best to distance his dark thoughts he spoke again, “But you also spoke my name- even if you didn’t mean it. A tiny part of it. It was enough to douse the flames, thankfully.”

He blinked as Mahlajai acknowledged his new limbs, “Wait, do you could not do that before? You could change into a bird but not add extra arms? ”
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:36 pm
Mahlajai looked up in surprise, "Voriel-I didn't know your name. I know only the language of my people. What I said gave me the ability to control the fire...sort of. Its not perfect. But I didn't and still don't know your real name-at least not knowingly."

In response to the latter question, the djinn shook his head. "I can morph and shift my physical form like breathing. Thats all largely cosmetic or superficial anyway. But...my true form, it's been a long time since I could bring that to bear. When I was first imprisoned, that was one of the first things I lost. Kazahn was smart enough to know if he didn't bar me from certain...skills-that he wouldn't stand a chance at achieving his goals."

He looked down at his now healing wounds, and was about to make another smart comment but then looked beyond Voriel and said, "Wait-did that thing block you from Rahsaan? I heard you shout Rahsaan's name...is he okay?"
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum