Hell's Half Acre
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Aspen
Aspen

A New Ally Empty A New Ally

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:48 pm
As the party settled into camp, Aspen had a lot of questions about their new companion.  She found Zahrys sitting by the fire and sat on a nearby log.

"Thanks again for all your help back there in town.  Sorry we dragged you into the middle of our fight with Strahd.  And at the same time I'm not sorry because we wouldn't all have survived without you," she said with a grateful smile.

"How did you end up there in the town stockades anyway?  What were your charges?  Chews too loudly?  Smiles too much? Exists in the same town as the baron?  Are you from Barovia or do you come from beyond the mists like the rest of us?  Did you leave any family behind?"

Aspen chuckles embarrasedly.

"I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions.  I'm just really curious.  It's a cat thing," she says with a shrug.

Last edited by Aspen on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zahrys

A New Ally Empty Re: A New Ally

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:06 pm
"I'm glad I was there at the right time to help," Zahrys replied tiredly, "and I surely do not regret being thrown in with your little group here. While it looks like it was all for naught in the long run, you and your friends and your distraction were pivotal in freeing everyone in the stocks. As was your key."

As Zahrys shifts more weight to his right leg, settling in on the log he continues, "Though I think my charges to be put in the stocks, may've actually been thanks to your group." Zahrys chuckles lightly as he continues, "I'm told it was you who thought it was a grand idea to start a random fire... Well, turns out it was actually convenient enough for me so that I could be around the stocks without causing any extra attention to myself."

His light chuckling turns to a fine, grim smiles as he says, "Despite the futility of it, I'm grateful that you all also helped free the prisoners."

"Family? Parents died when I was a newborn. My adopted father's name is Gerard. I stayed with him in the north until his death about 2 years ago... Now what do you mean about coming from beyond the mists? I've surely never seen someone who looks like you. Tabraxi I think someone said? And I understand the curiosity. I too am curious about each one in our group. It is nice to be around other non-humans though. You know how many people here treat you..."
Aspen
Aspen

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:43 pm
Aspen sighed, her face sullen.

“It does seem futile now, but how awful would it have been for the prisoners to have burned to death or been torn to pieces by monsters while trapped in the stocks? We gave them a chance at least.”

When Zahrys mentioned the fire, one of her cat ears perked up.

“Are you referring to the fire at the baron’s mansion or the fire in town? The one in the mansion was our doing, but the one in town is a mystery to us. Maybe it was an accident. Maybe it was Strahd’s doing. Who knows?”

The Tabaxi turned her gaze to the camp fire.

“That’s the thing about fire. It doesn’t care if you’re good or evil, right or wrong, young or old. It simply does what it was made to do - burn, consume, destroy.”

When asked about the mists, Aspen raises an eye brow.

“The mists surrounding this land of Barovia. All of us are from outside of Barovia, which means we are from outside the mists. We each passed through the mists at some point in our recent past and now we cannot return home. I imagine Strahd has something to do with it. Luring fresh blood into his land to feed himself and his minions, but I don’t know that for certain.”

“As for me, I am Tabaxi. I left my mother behind in our village. My father was executed by an evil tyrant when my father threatened to expose his evil deeds. When I was old enough, I took it upon myself to follow in my father’s foot steps by standing up for those who were being unjustly treated by tyrants like him. I almost killed the baron of Villaki myself because he so reminded me of the man who killed my father.”
Zahrys

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:39 pm
"Yes, I will sleep better just knowing we gave them a fighting chance. The fire at the Baron's Mansion is the one I was referring to. It was a convenient thing to have the Inn Keeper tell the town guard it was my fault so that they would arrest me. He did such a good job that he was even able to, at my request, convince them it was such a heinous deed that I should be put in the very center of the stocks. The fire in town was a small one that I had started. It would've been secluded enough had Strahd not showed up. I already had a few beggars I'd paid who were ready to put it out."

"I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing, but at least he set an example we would all do well to follow. I've seen plenty of 'Benevolent Rulers' who only give their people a cold cell if they can't pay their monthly taxes. That's no way to live."

Zahrys stretches his arms out to his sides and then rubs his wrists where they'd been bound before continuing, "What's it like beyond Barovia? I'm from here in the Shadowfell. I grew up to the north in Kartakass. Gerard, a Silver Dragon raised me. Yes, I know how strange that sounds. Until recently, I was working to try to sever his bonds to the Shadowfell. He was bound to this plane much in the same way it sounds you are."

Zahrys looks uncomfortable and greatly saddened with more than a little anger welling up within his eyes as he presses on, "That is until recently when Gerard died. Being bound to this plane taxed him greatly and while to our understanding he was ancient, the way dragons look at time he may have at most been middle aged. He was a very wise friend. At the end he spoke of some of his research. He told me of a being named Strahd who he thought was at the heart of those issues as well as the reason he, and now I see others, are being wrongly trapped here."

Remembrance comes to Zahrys' eyes as he relives Gerard's death through memory, "But he told me first and foremost I should try to find someone named Argynvost. Finding Argynvost was the priority, but I've wandered many places in the Shadowfell these past two years and haven't heard of any wearing that name. I've almost began to wonder if Gerard misspoke in his last moments at the mention of Argynvost. Have you heard of him? Of her?"

(Keep in mind Zahrys' eyes are silver in color)
Aspen
Aspen

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:59 pm
"Yes, well, even the best plans can go awry very easily. It seems to often be the case for our group that we are thinking on our feet, reworking our plans, more often than we are actually following through with our plans. Especially with such a wild card as Strahd at play."

When the elf said that he was raised by a dragon, Aspen's ears perked up. "A dragon? Really? Like a big one? I've never seen a dragon before. That is so interesting..."

At the mention of Argynvost, the Tabaxi cocks her head to the side. "Argynvost....Argynvost. Oh yes! I mean, I don't know who he is, nor have I met him, but back in the dwarven caves where we just left, they had a statue dedicated to the knights of Argynvost. Maybe the dwarves would know more. Maybe our dwarf would know more!"

She glances around to see if she can spot Gohzrik.
Twang

Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:57 pm
Gohzrik appeared from the tree line wearing his rugged studded leather with the green hood he donned when first entering Barovia. He was carrying a couple rabbits over his shoulder as he had gone to hunt to make sure the armor still fit and moved with him like at the beginning. It was a little tight but nothing he couldn’t fix my loosening some of the fastenings. He noticed Aspen and the cleric by the fire and made his way there at Aspen’s behest. He nodded to his compatriots and took a seat at an unoccupied log by the fire and began to skin and prepare the rabbits.

“What can I help you with, Aspen?”
Aspen
Aspen

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:07 pm
“Our new friend here was asking about Argynvost. We saw a statue to his knights in the dwarven tunnels. Do you know who he is or where we could find him?”
Twang

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:24 pm
“Argynvost... hmm...”

He set his knife and rabbit down and ran a hand through his beard.

“Right... right. I don’t know anyone in particular by that name. Sorry.”

He picked up the rabbit and began to skin it.

“There was an order of knights though. The Knights of Argynvost. Blue cross... silver dragon... we found that cave with a mural hidden in that ice wall we climbed remember?”

He glanced at Aspen, and then to Zahrys.

“They were wiped out though. All long gone by the hands of Strahd.”

He turned back to Aspen.

“That statue was just one of the knights who came to aid the dwarves against the forces of evil. The men fought valiantly... outnumbered 10 to 1. It only cost their lives and the end of the order... That’s just the type of power Strahd commands.”

He smiled at the two of them.

“We came out unscathed tho. Strahd won’t know what hit him the next time we meet.”

He looked down and picked up the next rabbit to skin.

“Now that I’ve said all that I think Malajai knew who they were. He may be of more use than a prideful, stubborn, dwarf.”
Zahrys

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:48 pm
"So Malajai may know more?" Zahrys replied excitedly. "Do you know if the Knights of Argynvost were then allied with a Silver as it is part of their symbol?"

(If Malajai is still with us, Zahrys tries to get his attention. If so he waits until Malajai joins before continuing. If not, he continues with Aspen and Gohzrick.)

"My adopted father who was a great mentor was Gerard. He also was a Silver. Among his dying words was that I should seek out Argynvost. I know I heard one of our group mention another Silver dragon nearby. Perhaps he may know who Argynvost is?"

FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:43 pm
An older looking man with blueish tinted hair that only poked out the sides of his otherwise balding head hobbled over to the gathered group, before giving a wide yawn. “I heard my name, did somebody need something? Maybe a rousing smoke or a wine that needs tasting?” After a few long stares...”A man can dream....”
He clears his throat looking between the three others present with a small grin. “Alright fine, I will tell you...the answer is yes. I am always this charming. But there’s no need for alarm.”

He looks at the newcomer and says, “Was there something in particular you needed or wanted to discuss?”
Aspen
Aspen

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:31 pm
Aspen rolled her eyes, shook her head, and smiled. She appreciated the familiar's humor as it broke up the heaviness of the world they faced.

"Sorry, Mal. No wine here, but next time we're in a town, I'll buy you a drink," she said with a wink.

She gestured to the elf then looked back at Mal.

"Our new ally here was sent to find a dragon named Argynvost. We know a little, but don't really have an idea of where to start looking for him. Do you know anything about a silver dragon nearby or one by that name?"

FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:02 pm
Mahlajai nodded readily at the offer of a drink, but then arched his eyebrows at the requested information. “I certainly wish I knew a silver dragon. They are pretty handy to count as allies. But sadly I don’t know any. But Argynvost-that name I have heard before. The Knights of Argynvost were a rare force for good here in Barovia. Their holy knightly order was called the order of the Silver Dragon. I had the pleasure of meeting some of the knights once. Their commander was a nice human man named Vladimir something...I don’t recall his last name. But their Patron benefactor and namesake was a man named Argynvost. I never met him but he had a good reputation and his knights were very dedicated to him and his cause.”

The djinn smiles, “They were supposed to be really great warriors and vehemently opposed to Strahd. What’s not to love right?”

“Their shieldcrests all bore a Silver Dragon in its center. Though I believe the majority of them fell in battle fighting a dragon, there are rumors and rumblings of holdouts still around taking up the sword to aid the needy and lost. That’s about all I know though for certain. Did that help?”
Zahrys

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:28 pm
"Yes, Mahlajai," Zahrys replied, "that's more information than I've been able to gather in all my travels these past few year."

Zahrys lifts his gaze up to the horizon and then closes his eyes for a moment in silent prayer.

"Well, Lady of Mists, you've brought me this far. What next?" he prayed.

After another moment of no response, he looked at Mahlajai and continued trying to gather more information, "To clarify, I'm not sure if the Argynvost I seek is a Silver dragon, but I just began to wonder since Aspen told me that the Knights of Argynvost have a Silver on his shield. I don't suppose you know where this Argynvost fellow is supposed to be based out of do you? Or if they only fight with the sword? Having some support of powerful magic users or clerics would help tremendously. Since my father tasked me with finding him, I think it'd actually be beneficial for us as a group to seek him out. I was tasked with finding him in connection with at minimum information and insight into the Strahd problem plaguing this land. If they truly take up the sword in support of those in need, assuming they aren't all dead, I believe they'd gladly take up the sword against Strahd, the greatest evil this land has ever known. Thoughts about this idea?"

Last edited by Zahrys on Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a sentence!)
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:06 pm
Mahlajai closed his eyes but said, “No. I don’t know where the order was stationed.” He considered something before adding, “But there’s a slim chance that one of my people might know. They’re certainly more likely than me to have had recently been in touch.”

He perks up slightly as he says, “Regarding their weaponry though, I never actually saw them in combat, but the knights who travelled to meet me bore martial armaments; swords, spears, polearms, and a few appeared to be archers. Not much need for magic accoutrements when you have a dragon on your side. But I believe their order to have largely consist of holy warrior types-paladins.”

The djinn frowns however as he adds, “While I am not entirely certain about the knightly order all being gone-which is not nice to imagine for obvious reasons, I am pretty sure their leader is dead. If for no other fact than, if he were still alive-why does Strahd go unchecked or unchallenged barring present company?”

Mahlajai looked to the others, “This might seem a foolish question but I have no problems looking foolish so I will ask. Given that there is talk of fighting a dragon-show of hands, do any of you have experience in this? Have any of you ever slain a real dragon? Because I will be honest, that’s above my pay grade. I have talked to a dragon before, but even then it was bound and very young. I have not ever tried taking one on in a fight. Not sure I am looking forward to it either.”
Zahrys

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:19 pm
"Well, I've never actually fought a dragon, but I was raised by a Silver; Gerard," Zahrys replied. "He was good and kind and wise," and with a friendly smirk directed at the distant Mercurion he added, "and practical. It was Gerard who drilled into me since I was able to talk the following rules for when facing a dragon:

"Don't get eaten. Avoid the mouth and teeth area as well as the claws. Don't under estimate the power of the dragon's tail. If you think you have to fight one, don't. If you know you must fight one, reconsider. If it is unavoidable, find a way to nullify it's use of flight or find a way to keep it on the ground."

"Some of that is obvious, but keep in mind Gerard literally started teaching all but the last two rules when I was about 5 years old." Zahrys stated with a sigh. "In present company, I'd also say that we should find a way to make sure we can fight it during what passes as daylight here. I'm not sure we would want to face a dragon if some of us cannot see well at all."

Zahrys clears his throat and continues, "I can't help but think Gerard knew I'd eventually be put on this course. I just wish he had begun telling me more before he was on his deathbed. He knew he was nearing the end, but I think it still snuck up on him in the end. He never said as much but I believe that he was somehow suppressing what Strahd was capable of doing for many, many years.When I was just a boy, he would have other metallic dragons come to where we lived and have these meetings that seemed very serious. If I walked in, they would brighten up when they saw me. I only heard mutterings from them about how some great evil was growing but never any term that I remember that would be connected with Strahd."

Zahrys seems to brace himself for a moment and then says, "Gerard's teachings changed when a local friend was turned into a vampire whom I was lucky enough to call down holy fire. If my teacher and friend Falinar, hadn't just been teaching me how to do so a few days prior to this vampire being turned, it would have killed me as well as some more local villagers."

"At this point," Zahrys continues, his face becoming set, determined, "it seems it was the beginning of the end for Gerard. His lessons changed to being more practical than they already had been. There was less focus on abstract questions about when it's appropriate to use what he was teaching me. He would often mutter things like, 'There's just not enough time!' I'd never seen him act in a way I'd describe as frantic until those last days. He soon was on his deathbed. It was those final moments when he mentioned Strahd and Argynvost for the first time. Since his death finding info about those two names has been painstakingly difficult. Finding someone who has info on either has been hard. Getting them to part with that knowledge in the case of Strahd has sometimes been next to impossible. I just hope as we continue, we can gain support from groups such as these Knights of Argynvost if they still even exist."
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum