Hell's Half Acre
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Aspen
Aspen

Facetious Feline Seeking Favors Empty Facetious Feline Seeking Favors

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:57 pm
Nightfall in Barovia always surprised Aspen.  She never thought it could get any darker, but then it did, both physically and emotionally.  To be fair, her feline eyes were well-suited for the dark and the lack of light allowed her to conceal herself much more easily from prying eyes, but this strange darkness still unsettled her.  

It was the benefits, however, that allowed her to silently follow Sir Mercurion and Nicholas Bottom outside the camp without notice.  She watched as the knight removed his armor, his ridiculous armor covered with spikes and bones and all sorts of reminders of the foes he had conquered.  It took a lot longer than Aspen would have expected to get it all off.  

It may have looked strange, but it was always extremely powerful.  It took quite a lot for a foe to break through it to cause him any harm.  Mercurion chose to make himself vulnerable in order to commune with his goddess, not to mention bowing in the armor was not so good on the knees.  He reached out to Ezra regularly, but tonight, Aspen had a sneaking suspicion that the goddess would respond.

After a few minutes of prayer and meditation, a soft whisper wafted through the air above the knight’s head.  

Mercurion. My son.  
You strive to honor me in every way and for that I am most grateful.  
I have no other son or daughter as loyal and faithful as you.  
I know that you will always do whatever I ask of you.  
Will you not, my beloved son?

Aspen waited silently to hear Mercurion’s response to his beloved goddess.
Sir Romeo Mercurion
Sir Romeo Mercurion
Admin
https://hellshalfacre.forumotion.com

Facetious Feline Seeking Favors Empty Re: Facetious Feline Seeking Favors

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:17 pm
There was no bluster or pageantry in Mercurion's movements. He was weary and frustrated and as he worked to free the final catches and buckles beneath his ornate armor, he winced. The werewolf's claws had raked his neck, and one of the dead things had bitten him, its broken teeth finding the join beneath his shoulder guard. He was grateful for Ezra's protective blessings. Mercurion made sure that his courageous mount was grazing comfortably, and then he knelt, facing the mist-shrouded darkness. He had scarcely begun mouthing the words of Kristovich's Catechism before he heard a feminine voice.

A divine voice. It spoke of love and his worthiness, and the Borcan was gripped with a confusing mixture of fear and hope. She asked if he was willing to do whatever was asked of him, and he rose, failing to notice the dirt clinging to his knees.

"Without question, my Lady."

He paused, but only for a moment. The goddess had never spoken like this. It was always in hazy dreams and strange but undeniable portents. This was something new... and he wondered- perhaps it was a sign of her favor.

"I am honored and delighted that you would speak to me so clearly. I am thankful that you empower me, and continue to gift me the strength to strike down the creatures of the night."

"But if I could be so bold as to answer a question with one of my own-"

The paladin could barely keep the desperate edge out of his tone:

"Why... why do you love me? My will broke and my senses were bewitched- I, I let down my guard. In my confusion, my madness, I harmed my friends and served the very devil I wish to destroy."

He stood before the empty wood and dark sky, clad in little more than dried blood and sweat-soaked linens, but still he bent a knee and grasped his sword haft, the blade pointing straight down with the tip buried in the earth.

"If you wish me to do penance, I shall gladly undertake it. Allow your holy champion to undo this blot upon his honor."
Aspen
Aspen

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:25 pm
Aspen felt a catch in her throat.  She didn't realize how much Mercurion was beating himself up over being possessed by Strahd.  She had also been possessed and had attacked Eylylyn, but she didn't consider it a personal failure.  

Though she had intended to have some cheap fun at the Borcan's expense, Aspen now felt her purpose here was more important.  

My dear son.  I love you because you have chosen to serve me faithfully.  As long as you continue to do so, my love for your will never falter.  

Would you fault a fish for being swept away by a stream or a bird for being blown about by a storm?  Neither do I fault you for being blown about by the devil's storm.  

Though your Tabaxi was merely imitating me at that time, your faith in me allowed you to shake off the bonds of Strahd and rise above his control.    

Speaking of the Tabaxi...

Aspen is very, dare I say, extremely wise.  You would do well to heed her advice and always keep her safe in combat.

What?  She didn't have to be completely altruistic, did she?  But back to business.  

Do you feel that penance is necessary, my son?  Would my forgiveness be insufficient for removing your feelings of dishonor?
Sir Romeo Mercurion
Sir Romeo Mercurion
Admin

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:52 pm
"By your grace, O Lady of the Mist. I thank you for this chance at redemption. I will shield the cat-woman from harm to the best of my ability... her wisdom must surely afford her some insight into your goodness and purity."

Sir Mercurion threw back his head, his words fierce, almost savage with zeal.

"Your forgiveness is more than sufficient. I will be a shining example to the faithful, and a scourge to the black-hearted creatures of the night. I swear this. I am the sword and shield in your hands, dear Ezra."

Nicholas Bottom swished her tail, nonplussed. The mule turned her flat gaze in Aspen's direction, seeming to look right at the rogue despite her preternatural skills at concealment. After a moment, she turned back to her meal of stubble and dandelions. A chilly wind swept through the glen, and Mercurion straightened up, and after failing to hear any more divine voices, he donned an old dark shirt and pants and belted on his pistol and began cleaning his sword, whistling a hymn tunelessly as he went, a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.
Aspen
Aspen

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:08 pm
Aspen was pleased. She had strengthened the Borcan’s resolve and gained herself a bit of extra protection in the process. A win-win as they say.

The Tabaxi quietly jumped down from the tree and made a wide birth around Mercurion before approaching at a jog.

“Hey! Mercurion? I heard you yelling about something. Is everything okay?”

She gave Nicholas a wink then regained her concerned expression.
Sir Romeo Mercurion
Sir Romeo Mercurion
Admin

Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:51 pm
The knight hopped to his feet as Aspen approached, beaming. Nicholas Bottom chewed her food pensively, and said nothing.

"Hello! Forgive me if I was disturbing you- but my Goddess has made her will known to me. Ezra wishes that you be kept safe. Though temporal wellness is something I desire for all my companions, you- you are chosen! Set apart! Clearly, you are major part of her grand design."

The paladin spoke with conviction and pride. He still looked tired and bloodied, but there was an optimism about him that was impossible to miss.  

"She mentioned you by name, friend Aspen. Indeed, she spoke of your wisdom and discernment. Surely this wisdom has granted you insight into your purpose, your place in Ezra's divine plan to scour this land of the forces of night? Have you seen her or heard her voice?"

He stopped himself, waiting for her reply- but it was clearly a herculean struggle to contain his enthusiasm.
Aspen
Aspen

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:47 pm
Aspen feigned surprise, placing a hand on her chest.

"Ezra mentioned me? By name? How...surprising!"

Her acting in this moment was as good as it was when she tried to convince Strahd he already had Ireena.

"I will certainly welcome your protection, but as for my part in some grand design, I'm not so sure about that."

Her gaze dropped to the ground in sudden sadness.

"What good could a lowly beast do for a goddess?"
Sir Romeo Mercurion
Sir Romeo Mercurion
Admin

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:58 am
The knight listened carefully, and when his companion finished, he nodded gravely. "Of course your flesh has been cursed with a monstrous aspect, but that does not mean that your heart has been poisoned. You do not act overmuch like a beast, certainly."

Sir Mercurion waved vaguely toward the Tabaxi. "Ezra spoke of you in high terms. I could not guess as to the depths of your wisdom. Truth be known, my own path is not always so clear. But this I know- you are part of Her plan, and that cannot be denied. This is one of the tenants of the faith- that of the Grand Scheme. The Mist Goddess has a plan for all of us, and we can participate willingly, or scorn her- but in the end, she will triumph. Our first and only choice is whether we will take a stand against the night, or succumb to our own base desires."

A look of canny understanding flit across the weary man's features. "Ah, but I am sure you know of this already. You test my resolve, or knowledge, or... both! How wise indeed."

The Borcan seemed excited for having figured this out, and continued, his words hasty and exuberant, his eyes reflecting the stars in the black sky. "Though you do not openly profess faith and praise in the Goddess, your doings reveal what is in your heart. You speak against the vile miscreants who threaten this land, and your actions match your words. You hunt those who stalk the night, and that is admirable. All that remains is to continue in this, and to destroy the unliving and banish the devil in Her name!"
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum