Hell's Half Acre
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Twang

You Can't Save Everyone Empty You Can't Save Everyone

Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:32 pm
Gohzrik woke up at dawn the morning after the church battle. He donned his armor, shined his shield, and sharpened his sword before heading out in search of Eylylyn. He found her still asleep. Whether it was due to being afraid of being bitten by her again, or he knew she was still dealing with her own issues he called out from a safe distance.

"Sorry to wake you so early Eylylyn but I am heading out. I could use a sending stone if you don't mind. Just in case of emergencies of course."

Without even rolling over her mage hand deftly dug around in her bag and tossed a stone to him followed by a wave.

"I appreciate it. Take care while I'm gone. No one else can take hits for you like I can."

He pocketed the stone and walked away without another word. He left the church while the others still slept and started to make his trek back into the city. His original destination was the Gundarakite camp but he realized he had something important to discuss with the Defense Minister. He made his way into the city by walking around the outside perimeter and entered in the main entrance. After a fair amount of wondering around he made his way to the Defense MInister thanks to the help of the friendly guard Barnabus who showed the group around the first day. After only a few minutes Gohzrik stormed out of the office and soon the city, anger written on his face.

Idiot Defense Minister. Holding on to pride and racism of his men will just make the city fall faster. As the Defense Minister he should control his men and act for what is best for the city as a whole. The dwarves are coming and accepting them peacefully is better than having another fight for the city. Sure they are refugees but they are refugees with resources who can be reliable allies.

Once Gohzrik was a good way outside of the city he sighed and sat down to eat some rations and drink some water. As he ate he rolled the sending stone over and over in his hand until he decided upon the message to send.

"My King. Krezzik will not peacefully accept you. They will fight. Have faith. You outnumber the guards. If I'm still here I will aid you."

Pocketing the stone and packing up his meal Gohzrik set out in search for the Gundarakite camp. As he approached the location he could tell something was wrong. He took his bow in hand nocked an arrow as he approached the camp now in shambles. It seemed to have only recently been attacked and abandoned. There were claw marks everywhere which lined up with the story Ardonk had told them about wolves driving them from their home. Strangely though there was a lack of fur and no scent of wolves so Gohzrik had his doubts. As he continued his search he found what looked to be a makeshift forge to fashion crude weapons although none were around. If wolves were the culprits the weapons should be lying on the ground not missing. As he poked around the forge more he picked up on a foul scent that he remembered experiencing before...Caliban. That explains the missing weapons, lack of fur, and wolf scent. From a glance one could blame wolves especially with this camp's history... the Caliban must have known that. Who knows how long they have followed and plagued these refugees. As he sat by the forge he heard footsteps behind him and turned around with bow drawn.

"Oh. Ardonk. How many of you were injured in this last raid?' Gohzrik lowered his bow and replaced his arrow in his quiver as he asked his question.

"No casualties. We heard the howls of the wolves and evacuated immediately." Ardonk replied as he lowered his spear and planted it in the ground to lean on.

Gohzrik frowned. "They tricked you good then... look around closely. Wolves didn't do this."

"If not wolves then what?" Ardonk asked.

"Caliban. A different sort of servant of Strahd. There is no telling how long they've been following y'all. It must be a small group or they would have attacked head on rather than cowardly tactics. You should pack up what you have left and follow me."

Ardonk frowned. "Why? What possible place do you know of that would accept us. We've been on the run for so long. With how hungry Krezzik is we could take it by force I wager."

"You don't have time for that. The caliban know where your camp is and they will be back. There is a place outside of Krezzik full of a different kind of outcasts. They recently have come under the protection of the Goddess Ezra. Her protection would apply to all who ask."

Ardonk narrowed his eyes. "First you tell us to move camp, then you tell us to rely on a Goddess for protection?" He spit on the ground. "We are a strong people. We rely on ourselves and what is seen."

Gohzrik shrugged. "Rely on who and what you want. I've not only seen Ezra's miracles but experienced them. I ain't saying you have to follow her or worship her. I don't even do that. Her church can be a place of safety at least temporarily for you."

Ardonk shook his head. "Why leave? You have helped us by telling us of the threat we face. Now that we know... we can face the threat then rebuild where we stand. We've been forced to move so many times before. I won't let this be like other times."

Gohzrik sighed. "So don't let it be like past times. No one is forcing you to move... yet. Come seek refuge in a defensible position above the city. Make the choice to move before it's too late."

Ardonk tilted his head to the side. "What do you mean above the city?"

Gohzrik rolled his eyes. "You can get a better lay of the land and you will have a better vantage point of attacking Krezzik in the future if that is what you choose."

Ardonk smiled. "That's all you had to say." He turned around to look at his followers. "Take everything you can! We leave within the hour."

Gohzrik knelt down and dug through his quiver. He pulled out 10 silver arrows and handed them to Ardonk. "Split these among your best archers before we begin our journey. If we run into any actual Werewolves we better be prepared."

Ardonk took the arrows with a nod before leaving to bark more orders.

Good luck keeping your city now ya racist pricks...

The trek to the abbey seemingly went off without a hitch. There was the occasional howl but luckily no wolf was spotted and none made any attack on us from the shadows. As the group approached the abbey Gohzrik entered the courtyard first with Ardonk. Seeing it was mostly empty he nodded for Ardonk to begin to allow his men to set up their tents and more importantly the forge. While the Gundarakites busied themselves Gohzrik slipped into the church to find the Claus

"My new friend. Good to see you this day. I have something I must discuss with you."

Looking bewildered Claus stammered quickly before responding. "Uh. Mmm. Yes. How can I help you, Berry Giver?"

Gohzrik motioned for Claus to come over to a window where he could see into the courtyard.

"While out today I checked in on some friends of ours. These are the Gundarakites. They have suffered due to Strahd same as you and have no home. They have some resources though... and a forge. In return for shelter they may be willing to arm any of you willing to fight Strahd, or arm well enough to simply defend this haven should you choose to stay here. I bring this knowledge to you because you were the only one who remained clear headed."

Claus frowned. "You are sure they won't attack us?"

Gohzrik stared at him straight faced. "I'll kill every last one of them myself if they do." He put an arm on Claus's shoulder. "We didn't save you from the slaughter just to give you to different wolves. Come. Meet Ardonk so the terms can be made."

Claus tried to smile but then shook his head. "I've got a bad feeling about this."

As Gohzrik stepped back out into the courtyard Ardonk marched up to him.

"Disappearing immediately huhn? Should've known."

Gohzrik shook his head. "Calm down. I was just getting Claus the leader of sorts. Now you listen real good. Everyone of these people in that church is a victim of Strahd. Every single one. This is the only home they have and thanks to Ezra they are opening their doors. If things go South they will close them. So best behavior."

Ardonk squinted and spat on the ground. "Trying to change the deal on me?"

Gohzrik stared at him flatly. "No. Trying to make sure both of you see each other as allies." With that Gohzrik made his way back into the church motioning for Ardonk to follow.

As Gohzrik and Ardonk entered the foyer Claus was standing there claws folded waiting patiently. Ardonk suppressed a reaction to grab his weapon and turned to look at Gohzrik with fire in his eyes.

"Ardonk meet Claus, leader of these people. Claus meet Ardonk, leader of the Gundarakites." Gohzrik looked at both of them. "Strahd has a done a great disservice to both of you and your peoples. It is time to show him that his victims will not roll over and take it. It is time for Strahd's victims to stand back up and show him what for. Keep living. Every day you live and grow stronger is a reminder that he lost. Your spirit wasn't broken. You don't have to charge him with a sword to show him you are better than him and have come out on top."

Hesitantly Ardonk and Claus approached each other and offered their prospective hands (claw) creating an alliance of sorts. Gohzrik stayed with the two leaders as they discussed living arrangements, arms, guard patrols and the sort. Once everything was settled Gohzrik went back into the courtyard to the forge. Ardonk followed him shortly calling it to him.

"Dwarf! Can't say I expected this... but if you hadn't given your warning I may have attacked. So thanks. This will be a good spot for us to rebuild, and you are right about it being a better vantage point."

Gohzrik shrugged. "It will be better once the smoke clears. That is what my companions and I will work on conquering next."

Ardonk spat. "Foolish as ever. You can't fight smoke."

Gohzrik laughed. "Well not in a conventional sense." He noticed Eylylyn milling about lost in thoughts and called her over so he could retrieve his Dragon's claw from her room. He set the Claw down by forge as Ardonk watched with big eyes. "Don't be too surprised. I told you we killed a dragon. This is just but one of the claws. I need it shaped like a Scythe blade... and well this is the only forge I know of. Any slack that comes off after the initial shapoing will be yours to keep for jewelry or daggers as payment."

Ardonk opened his mouth in protest before quickly shutting it. "We'll do what we can. We can't get it battle ready without a better forge but we can start the process for ya."

Gohzrik nodded. "All I'm asking for." With that he patted Ardonk on the shoulder and headed back inside the building in search of Claus. He found him soon enough.

"Thank you Claus. I know it can't be easy to trust outsiders even a little. This will be a good thing though. For both of you."

Last edited by Twang on Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : DM said so and needed to add on.)
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum