Hell's Half Acre
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Ending a chapter Empty Ending a chapter

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:15 pm
Mahlajai caught Lyn’s attention as the group made their way up the mountain side, appearing as the older balding man she had seen on occasion.
Lyn noticed the djinn seemed to be hovering higher off the ground than he had before, and she actually noted that recently she had heard fewer and fewer dark utterances from her Blackstaff.
“I wanted to catch you before we reach our destination. I’m not entirely sure what kind of reception to expect from my people. As you may have gathered-they tend not to like those of the wizardly Persuasion.”

Mal gives a smirk, “The fact I’m bringing other outsiders who aren’t local to this region though might offer some refreshing sense of a change of pace. We don’t get many visitors as you can imagine.”

The djinn small smile fades, “But I more wanted to give you a heads up about the Temple or rather me... It’s not a nice place, and since I am essentially it’s warden...you might see a different side of me that I don’t like to show. In order to keep the forces in check there, I—..... I am not nor have I been nice or merciful. The things I have done or had to do to lock the bound and damned evil that is kept within...I am not proud of, but know it was necessary. But more importantly, once we get there, I can’t promise that I can protect you. If it comes down to either saving you or keeping things from escaping-don’t count on me.”

Mal pulls up an illusory copy of the signed contractual binding agreement he had signed once with Eylylyn. “The bindings and obligations herein I will still attempt to uphold as best I can, but I have another agreement that supersedes this.”

The djinn creates a document that resembles a far older but similar looking contract that was written in Draconic and penned in blood. A quick glance of the document allows Lyn to also notice a phrase that has been emboldened. “Under no circumstance can any of the detained be set free. You, The Crescent Blade of Midnights Honored Sun, as Grandhigh Marshall and master at arms of the Temple of E’lahzad are to use ANY AND ALL means of power and resources at your disposal and discretion to prevent this, or barring failure to prevent escape, are honor bound to ensure and oversee the subsequent recapture and dissolution of those previously interred.”

Mal looks to the female gnome, “Do you understand what this means for you?”
Eylylyn Stonestream
Eylylyn Stonestream

Ending a chapter Empty Re: Ending a chapter

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:48 pm
The Wizard meets her friend's eye for a sad moment before looking away and nodding.

"I understand. You've been a good partner, and a steadfast friend all this time. I'll be sad to see you go, but I know whatever you'll be doing here is important."

She turns back to him and holds out a hand, angled either to shake or clasp as the Djinn sees fit.

"I know we haven't had much time to talk since... since the change. Things always happen so fast, and it's been difficult to process it with everything else rushing through my head. I haven't said it before, but I hope you know it's been easier going through it this time, having a friend go through it with me. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, and I'm sorry it happened to either of us, but you know what they say. Misery loves company!"

A tear traces down her cheek for a moment before she seemingly unconsciously magics it away.

She's silent for a long moment, thinking.

"From what that contract said, it seems like this place is some sort of prison? And you're what? The warden? What kinds of beings are locked away there? How did you come to be in charge of it all?"
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:55 pm
The djinn clasped her hands firmly and nods, “Agreed. I wouldn’t have changed a thing.”

At the series of questions, Mal nods again. “I act as the gatekeeper, the bulwark that shelters humanity from ancient evils, and for all other intents and purposes yes-a prison warden. Viewing this temple as a prison, would not be incorrect but it’s also not the only purpose the Temple served originally. Initially the Temple was an early place of worship for an ancient sect of some deity, I assume was likely elven. However, when Argynvost predecessors arrived, they found the location was amenable to storing enemies that sought mankind’s destruction, corruption, dessication, or other lovely such things that could not be otherwise stopped or restrained. In the land of Barovia, one the demiplanes of dread, the isolated nature of the realm and temple combined with the years of faithful worship to a good deity proved an excellent location. It was Argynvost idea to seek out my people’s assistance in also adding additional security and safeguards by tapping into the magical ley lines of the realms. Little did he know, the ley lines already formed a naturally occurring wellspring and massive convergence centered near the temple. All told-there are at least seven ley lines I know of flowing from the temple...maybe more. It is a powerful location which helps bolster the wards needed to maintain the holdings and bindings of the dark and malevolent entities housed in the location.”

Mal frowned at the latter questions. “Old gods. Dead creatures from beyond mortal planes. Shogorth the desolator, Azzamoth the defiler, and other beings I dare not speak their names aloud... And worse. The newest addition would be the Terg-who Strahd and Azilan had to work together to drive off...just to put things in perspective.”

“As far as how I was placed there, my teacher, Fagronthe Glorious Imam of the empty desert, was devoured when two of the residents broke free and devoured part of his material essence. He was unable to uphold The duties thereafter and I his student was given the job. That’s when Argynvost left Gerard behind to guard the temple, so that nothing could happen like that again. While my teacher being hurt might not sound significant, the battle is believed to have caused the formation of the shadow rift.”

Mahlajai looked to Eylylyn. “You are all about to walk into this place, and are dealing with powers no one should ever have to know about. I haven’t mentioned this all to the others because I don’t want to freak them out. There’s enough pressure as it is and I want them all to have the courage needed to keep their wits about them. Me telling them they will potentially be fighting frighteningly powerful creatures other people worshipped as gods doesn’t really inspire confidence especially when I’m not sure they even have the ability to cope with even speaking some the creatures names let alone seeing them in person.”

Mal sighs, “My reason for leaving originally was to begin finding my replacement should anything have happened to me. Khazan took advantage of me being away from my people and my home to best me because had he tried it when I was at the temple...there would be no record of Khazan ever having existed.”
Eylylyn Stonestream
Eylylyn Stonestream

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:27 pm
Lyn simply stares at Mal for a moment, taking it all in.

"You... you're serious? You've got that kind of otherwordly monstrosities locked away..."

She blinks a couple of times and quirks her head to one side.

"Why don't we just throw Strahd in there too?"
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:25 am
The djinn went to say something but stopped and shrugged, “If you could somehow convince the Lord and Ruler of the Lands to leave his fortress, risk facing true sunlight, and abandoning or somehow magically severing his hold on the people and his dark army...it could work.”

Mahlajai huffed to himself, “Of course there’s an easier though slightly riskier way to do it...but it’s risking a lot...chief among them being Strahd getting there and releasing unspeakable cosmic horrors upon multiple planes of existence. And, the point of Sir Mercurion coming to the temple was to seal it. If the plan changes to get Strahd in there...he’d have to leave it open and we’ll have made the trip for basically nothing.”

The djinn just looked to Eylylyn, “What do you think?”
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum