Hell's Half Acre
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Aspen
Aspen

The Cat’s New Play Thing Empty The Cat’s New Play Thing

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:06 pm

Aspen was tired. Tired of the fighting. Tired of the killing. Tired of the running.

She was just plain tired.

The end was in sight, though. Either she or Straud would end soon. She believed in her friends. She believed they could defeat him once and for all.

Aspen reached into her quiver and pulled out the latest addition. The long smooth shaft was expertly crafted by the dwarves. She’d watched as they shaped it by hand with their magic-infused tools.

If nothing else, this new tool would conserve some of her energy on the battlefield. She decided to take it out for a test run before she used it in combat.

Aspen pulled out her bow about 50 yards from camp. She took aim about 30 yards east and let the arrow fly. It flew straight and true and landed in the dirt at the base of a tree.

The Tabaxi leaned down and picked up the arrow at her feet, looking 30 feet back at the place she’d shot from.

“I wonder.”

Aspen loaded her arrow and aimed for a strong brand near the top of the tree. The arrow lodged in the bottom of the branch. A moment later, she appeared in the top of the tree, grabbing the branch above her where her arrow had lodged.

Back at the edge of camp, Aspen saw Rahsaan waking up from a nap. She aimed carefully, landing the arrow about 3 feet in front of him.

“Hey Rahsaan! How was your nap?” she said, leaning down to pick up her arrow and put it back in her quiver.
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

The Cat’s New Play Thing Empty Re: The Cat’s New Play Thing

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:25 pm
Rahsaan was mid- stretch when his eyes snapped open as the arrow found it’a mark directly in front of him. He jumped to his feet fully alert but as Aspen approached he relaxed. In response to her question he said,

“Necessary. Goblin celebrations are quite wild. I wonder how exciting they can be with wine or ale.”
Noticing the intricacies embroidered on the arrow shaft he sat back down leaning back on his elbows and asked, “Have not seen you use that one, before. What gift did the dwarves find worthy of a goddess?” He said with a smirk.
Aspen
Aspen

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:33 pm
Aspen smiled mischievously.

“Watch this.”

The Tabaxi loaded her new arrow into her longbow this time, aiming over 100 yards outside of camp.
She let loose the arrow and disappeared.
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:45 pm
For a second Rahsaan questioned if he had actually awoke from his nap, then he remember Aspen had in actually appeared in front of him to retrieve the arrow- and even though she was fast, he would have noticed had she fired the arrow anywhere in his vicinity.
“Can everyone teleport except me now?” Rahsaan thought aloud.
“Come on, just blinking places isn’t nearly as fun.” Voriel said, “It is not the same as soaring through the skies, the wind streaming through your hair with even the clouds below.”
“So that was one of your old powers.”
“One I don’t miss.”
At the moment, he wasn’t sure to allow time for Aspen to return or to follow after the arrow.
Aspen
Aspen

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:49 pm
As Rahsaan deliberated whether to stay or follow, his peripheral vision caught sight of an arrow heading straight for him.

Rahsaan side stepped and grabbed the arrow...not sure what would happen.

All of a sudden the Tabaxi appeared on top of him and the two tumbled to the ground, Aspen laughing hysterically. She rolled to the ground, still laughing.

“Thanks for catching that. I wasn’t sure if it would still work.”
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:01 pm
Rahsaan found himself laughing alongside his friend, laying next to her as he said, "Not sure if it would still work? How many of those do you have?" He squinted. "Or do you only have one? It's magic depletes?"

He stood up, brushing himself off as he gestured to the golden cords around his waste, "What I decided on crafting is not nearly as flashy. I have not yet had a chance to try it, but now I am supposed to be protected from harmful magic. At least, all but the most powerful."

Turning back to look at the arrow, he asked, "Is there a particular reason you wanted something like that?"
Aspen
Aspen

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:10 pm
Aspen sat up and brushed herself off.

“I just have the one, but it takes a few seconds to work, so at any moment I can either choose to attack or choose to teleport. It saves me time getting from place to place, bur it also gives our enemies a few more moments to live.”

The Tabaxi nodded while her friend spoke. She smiled sarcastically.

“What? You think Straud and his minions will be using harmful magic?”

She reached a hand down to help Rahsaan up.
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:27 pm
Rahsaan took Aspen's hand as he replied, "We will be bringing harmful magic. I suppose they ought to use tricks if their own if they want a fair fight."

Keeping his tone playful he said, "Though you did not answer my question. I wanted an extra layer of protection because magic still scares me. Why did you want to give enemies an option of living longer, assuming they do not break their necks trying to keep track of you?"
Aspen
Aspen

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:33 pm
“I stay alive by staying out sight and out of harm’s way. Making a mad dash across a room full of enemies is extremely dangerous for me. If I can relocate myself with the shot of an arrow, I can shoot myself into a better vantage point or out of harm’s way. They may have a few extra seconds to live, bur when I get in position, it’s lights out for them.”
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:53 pm
“That.  .  . Makes perfect sense.  A wise choice, indeed.”
Instinctively speaking in a hushed voice he asked, “Though I must know: Is it fun teleporting? Or as much as flying? Voriel seems to think while practical it is not as exiting. Which is why he did not mention he used to be able to do it. ”
Aspen
Aspen

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:00 pm
“Hmm...interesting question.”

Aspen crossed her arms.

“Well, flying is certainly exciting, but also more dangerous because you can fall, you know? Teleportation just happens and then it’s over.”

“I wonder if I can take anyone with me. Wanna try with me?”

Aspen took her rope and tied it around her waist and gave Rahsaan the other end to tie around himself. She aimed her arrow only about 10 feet away in case she ended up dragging Rahsaan along the way.

Her arrow dug its head into a nearby tree. Aspen vanished, leaving Rahsaan and the rope behind. She picked up her arrow and walked back.

“Hmm...guess not. Well, there’s another advantage of flying. You can take a friend with you.”

Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:10 pm
Rahsaan untied the rope around him and said with a shrug, “It was better to try now than attempt to rely on it later.”
Then he got an idea, and held out his hand, “I do not have a bow- never had to use one before- but what would happen if I just threw the arrow? Or would it then just take you to where it was thrown?”
Aspen
Aspen

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:23 pm
Aspen handed the arrow to Rahsaan.

“Give it a try!”
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:29 pm
The monk took hold of the arrow, turning to aim at the closest tree. He narrowed his eyes, and hurled the bolt, stumbling slightly from the force. The weapon’s tip buried deep in the bark.
Rahsaan blinked a few times, then looked from the arrow back to Aspen’s direction, “So . . . Did I miss a step?”
Aspen
Aspen

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:45 pm
Aspen shrugged.

“I guess it doesn’t work that way. I wonder if it works if I throw it.”

The Tabaxi threw the arrow across the way and it landed tail up in the ground.

“Guess it doesn’t work this way either.”

She put the arrow back in her quiver.

“May not do a lick of good against Straud, but it’s one more tool in our belt.”
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:53 pm
"I would discount it yet." Rahsaan said, "You do not need to fire it directly at him. Even if you put it somewhere that would seem indiscrete, even your hiding spot was compromised you could easily escape to a new one. Although, if you want to come crashing down on Strahd, than I will not be the one to stop you."

He seemed pensive, "Now gaining the ability to walk on walls when I can already fly . . . that I something I am struggling to find useful in any circumstance."
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum