Hell's Half Acre
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

When the Past Catches Up . . . Again Empty When the Past Catches Up . . . Again

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:02 pm
Rahsaan and Izek stood in latter's chamber. The monk still clutched at the blanket he had been handed, still reeling from the faint memories that had just bubbled to the surface. He was momentairly lost for words- he thought he should be feeling . . . something. Anything. His whole life he knew nothing where he came from, if he had any other family or what may had befallen them. He had told himself it did not matter; whether they were dead, wishing he was dead, or mourning his absense, it would not had helped him surive on the sreets. Thinking about them was only a distraction. And now, here was someone declaring himself as his brother,  seemingly eager to learn more about him. And yet, why did this feel so hollow?

Perhaps it was the dozen half-disfigured expressions of his own face staring back at him that deflated the reunion.

After standing in silence for what had to be several seconds, Rahsaan shook his head and refocused his attention on Izek.
"This does feel familiar well, as much as a blanket I have never seen before can be, I guess."

Still holding his oldest possession he then added, "What do you remember about me? Did we do anything together, or with our parents? That might help me remember."
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

When the Past Catches Up . . . Again Empty Re: When the Past Catches Up . . . Again

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:15 am
The captain of the town watch ran his hands through his long black hair and took a measured breath before responding. "Our parents-Wilhelm and Emilia Petrovna were kind people. They really did want the best for us...but they didn't think things through. Mother helped every soul she could, she couldn't stop herself sometimes. Father tended to be fearful of most things, but he put up a brave face...you kinda remind me a lot of him. We all made out alright...at least until they met Elizabeth Durst. Mother was pregnant-with you at the time, and Father was worried that you'd be born like me-a freak. Well Mrs. Durst claimed to have a way to guarantee that you'd be safe. I never found out all the details but whatever Mrs. Durst was up to-I just knew was bad. Anyway-mom and dad started going to the Durst house for secret meetings-I never got to go, but then one day they stopped going and we moved to Villaki. Only after I got older was I able to put two and two together-something happened in that house that scared Dad so bad-we ran, left everything behind."

He looked down at his wrapped arm and sighed. "You were born on the way here. Perfect. No weird marks or misshapen limbs-not even a forked tongue or tail. You were the golden boy. We made it to Villaki and probably would have just passed through but dad got real sick. He eventually got better but by the time he did mom had found a place and we had settled in. You were still really little but you used to hold on tight to that blanket...unfortunately thats all I know or have to give you. You were just starting to walk when you got real sick too. None of the healers here could help you-so mom and dad finally decided that they would risk going back to see Mrs. Durst. I didn't want to go. I liked it here. Even though the kids picked on me because I had a weird arm, it felt safe-because the parades always keep the devil away. But we went anyway."

He looks back up at Rahsaan, "We had been on the road a few days and made camp for the night. There wasn't anywhere to stop that was safe, but we had to rest. I was woken up by mom because there were werewolves attacking us. Dad told me to run, so I did. Dad took you and ran with me while mom fought the wolves as long as she could. I was running alongside Dad but then I tripped on something...and things get fuzzy after that. The only other things I remember from that night was hearing mom screaming and watching you say my name for the first time at the campfire."
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

When the Past Catches Up . . . Again Empty Re: When the Past Catches Up . . . Again

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:40 pm
"Oh, so I was very little when I went missing. That explains why I do not remember, eh, anything."

If what Izek said was true, than his full name was Rahsaan Petrovna. Which . . . he guessed was fine with him. He always found last names cumbersome anyway. There he went again.
If. Why was this so hard to accept? He believed the voice in his head was an angel without hesitation, yet he seemed to be wary of every word the captain spoke. And Voriel wasn't even telling him to be suspicious.

"There is still a piece missing; the earliest thing I can remember is sitting in a heap of garbage, crying because I could not find anything to eat. How I went from a forest in Barovia to a back alley in Nova Vaasa is still unexplained. At least you were able to get back to Valaki safely in the end. I would not wish the streets of that wretched lane on my worst enemy."

"But mother and Father did not have an explanation for your hand, uh, your fiery abilities?"

He forms a fist, which began to radiant a soft while  glow, before heatless blue flames rose from his clenched hand.

"As it seems the gift to shoot energy out of our hands runs in the family."
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:07 pm
Izek shrugged his shoulders. "Not sure how you wound up in a different place. We eventually found dad's body, but never yours. I always hoped you'd just been picked up by the Vistani and found a life with them...most everyone else just assumed you were eaten or that dad had tossed you in the river rather than let you get eaten."

He looked towards the east as he said, "I didn't find Villaki. The baron found me when his horse got spooked on a hunt he was on with his father, and came across me half frozen and starved. The Villakovich family took me in, fed me, nursed me back to health eventually even sort of adopted me...I owe them my life. I probably won't ever be able to repay them."

At the question about his fiery gifts Izek huffed."No need for them to-it was simple enough to figure out. They weren't supposed to get married. They upset the devil and I was their punishment."

At Rahsaan igniting his fist, Izek initially stepped closer reaching out to touch it with a look of fascination, but after a moment his fascination is overcome by fear as he turns to Rahsaan and pleads in a hushed voice, "Quick-put that out!!! Before anyone sees! They don't tolerate anything like that here. I'm a glaring exception but only because I serve the Baron. Most people think any type of sorcery like that comes from the devil himself!"
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:26 pm
The fire around Rahsaan's hand dissipated, 'Seriously?" He sighed, "The more things change . . ."

Shaking out his hand a few times, he then said,  "So it was the Baron who saved you? I suppose than he has not always been how he is now. From what I gathered, he seems the more, laid back drink tea and eat cake type, no go riding out hunting. Perhaps, his heart is softer than I thought."

He then frowned, "So, the devil you keep mentioning-is that the same one not be spoken one? The one-haunting-the-castle-near-Barovia devil? Or is there another one? And if it is Stra . . . that one, why did he care about our parent's getting married enough to intervene?"

He signed again, looking a bit defeated, "I am sorry, I do not mean to ask so many questions. You were only a little older than I was. I cannot expect to get all the answers right now."

Before Izek can reply, Rahsaan's eyes widen, "Wait, did you say the name 'Durst' just now?"
FatherofNight
FatherofNight

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:43 pm
The black haired man nodded along with Rahsaan's comprehending his own history. "Well a lot of things have changed since then. Vargas's father was a very strict ruler-he executed people just for looking at him the wrong way. Vargas always said when he got to be in charge things would be different..and for the most part they are different. The town seems to be growing and business is booming under his leadership. But the boy I knew growing up has had to change to meet the the needs of the people. With everyone coming to report to him all the time-he doesn't have the time to go off hunting but I imagine he would probably prefer it, but the baronness would never allow it. She's too much of a killjoy....don't tell anyone I said that. "

As Rahsaan brings up the devil, Izek grows noticeably more uncomfortable shifting his feet from one to the other but when he nearly says Strahd's name he grips his wrapped hand tightly. "Yeah-the same one. As far as why he cared about their marriage-I couldn't tell you. I just know that that's what the older people around town always tell me when I ask. I think they may have married one another outside of their respective social classes..not near as big deal nowadays but back in the day-that was a big issue for some people."

Upon the latter question and seeing his eyes widen in realization Izek actually started to get a little excited thinking that something seemed to jog his brother's memory, asmile starting to form "Yeah! Yeah I did."
Rahsaan
Rahsaan

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:10 pm
The monk drew a deep breath, "Because I visited the Durst house. About a year ago. And if it was anything like it was when our family tried to go back, than perhaps it was better that we did not make it. The group I am with now- most of them, anyway- were lured into the estate thinking that the house contained some monster, threatening the family. Inside, we found the Durst children dead, their parents themselves ghouls, and a vile ritual being conducting in the basement. We managed to kill a fiend that chased us and raze the house to the ground. I still have shivers thinking about it . . ."

Rahsaan stiffened as he continued, "I do not even understand how the Durst's could have helped our parents. From what I gathered, both Elizabeth and her husband were the leaders of a cult, and the whole thing had gone south. I would think they would be the last one to consider helping a family that is pursued by the devil."

He then paused, and asked, "  . . . what if our parents were part of the cult . . . and just realized what they were in and tried to stop, only to realize that they couldn't leave entirely. . .Not without giving us up . . . "

Rahsaan was quickly understanding the part of him that kept wishing what Izek said wasn't true.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum